James Barnes is the Chief Relationship Officer for Vanguard Charitable, an independent public charity founded by Vanguard as a tax-effective way to contribute assets, over time, recommend grants to nonprofit organizations.
By creating a personal philanthropic account, clients can be strategic about giving and managing their charitable contributions in a flexible and convenient way. They offer an immediate benefit as a charitable tax contribution. They enable their assets to grow tax-free through any number of investment options. With over $4.5 billion in 10,000+ accounts, granting over $0.5 billion a year, Vanguard Charitable's mission is to increase philanthropy and maximize its charitable impact over time.
Highlights of the Show:
In this podcast, we discuss:
- The power of a donor advised fund: how do they work and are they right for you?
- The 5 best practices for philanthropists
- How to make philanthropy a family affair
- The trends of philanthropy and where are we headed?
Takeaway of the Day:
No matter what giving vehicle you choose, be sure to get involved and take an active role in your philanthropy.
Links and Resources Mentioned In The Show:
- 5 Best Practices for Philanthropists Report
- Effective Granting Report
- "The Paradox of Generosity" by Christian Smith & Hillary Davidson (book)
- Learn more about Vanguard Charitable.