Jed Emerson has extensive experience leading, staffing and advising funds, firms, social ventures and foundations pursuing financial performance with social/environmental impact. Jed currently focuses on working with families exploring how to ensure a long term legacy by managing their full net worth for impact and engage in family processes which bring multiple generations into that effort. He is an internationally recognized thought leader in sustainability and sustainable finance, impact investing, social entrepreneurship and strategic philanthropy. Emerson has played founder roles with some of the nation’s leading venture philanthropy, community venture capital and social enterprises.
Jed has had a varied and accomplished career, ranging from a social worker, nonprofit leader, philanthropist, financial investor, strategic advisor, and impact investor. He was a founding director for both REDF and Larkin Youth Services. He has held appointments at Harvard and Stanford Business Schools, and was a visiting fellow at the Skoll Center at Oxford University's Said Business School.
His current work is focused on consulting individuals and families to leverage impact and financial, social, and environmental performance through their investments and portfolios. He works with sound and proven approaches to financial management and investing, and augments those with new levels of impact information and perspectives. He is using proven models of financial analytics, and adding performance considerations that benefit the community: financial, social, and environmental performance.
This interview is packed with information and Jed's insights into current traditional investment models, and how we can improve those with the blended value model.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SHOW:
In this interview, we discuss:
- How to measure and value performance in an organization. (6:00)
- How do we transcend the bifurcated value propositions that we find ourselves in? (16:30)
- The creation of Blended Value, and understanding the nature of what value is, and how to create it. (18:30)
- The Human Element that is embedded into all that we do. (22:00)
- Taking the long term approach, and affirming the natural path towards social investing. (27:00)
THOUGHT OF THE DAY:
"Impact Investing is what we do. Blended Value is what we create."
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- Jed's complete set of books on Amazon, includes "The Impact Investor" and "Impact Investing."
- Maximizing Blended Value, published in 2005.
- His current work with Gary Community Investments in Colorado.
- Jed's work at Impact Assets.
- Another interview with Jed.
- "The Pathless Way: John Muir and American Wilderness" on Amazon.com.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
If you enjoy The Philanthropy Hour, please leave a review or a rating on iTunes. I read every review and it helps to make the podcast better.