Ryan Honeyman is a sustainability consultant, executive coach, keynote speaker, and author of The B Corp Handbook: How to Use Business as a Force for Good (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, October 2014), the world’s first book on B Corporations. You can find him at Honeyman Consulting.
In 2014, Ryan was named MVP at the B Corp Champions’ Retreat in recognition for his support of the B Corp movement globally. In addition, Honeyman Sustainability Consulting was honored—alongside Patagonia, Seventh Generation, New Belgium Brewery, GoLite, and Method—on the 2014 B Corp Best for the Environment List, which recognizes businesses that have scored in the top 10% of all B Corps worldwide for positive environmental impact.
In this interview, he talks about the importance of companies who incorporate as B-corps, the changing landscape of our workforce, how more young workers want to work for companies they believe in, and how this new wave of companies is becoming a force for good.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SHOW:
In this interview, we discuss:
- What is benefit of Benefit Corporations and why are they becoming popular.
- The B Corp Impact Assessment
- How this has become an international phenomenon, and several companies that are having success with the B corp structure.
- The importance of the private sector to drive the economy, while at the same time holding themselves accountable to good corporate citizenry and socially-conscious efforts.
- Redefining the meaning of success. Why the next generation believes in living its values, and would rather take less money and work for a company that matches its values.
THOUGHT OF THE DAY:
The private sector is the biggest driver of our economy. Imagine if the long-term mission were focused on the health and sustainability of our communities...
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE SHOW:
- The B Corp Handbook: How to Use Business as a Force for Good (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, October 2014)
- Learn more about B Corps
- The B Impact Assessment
- Another site with information about B Corps
- The mission of Ello, a social networking company and B-corp
- Profit & Purpose by Kyle Westaway
- How To Use Business as a Force For Good article
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
If you enjoy The Philanthropy Hour, please leave a review or a rating on iTunes. I read every review and it helps to make the podcast better.